There is a drastic change in the behavior of Indian consumers towards OTT platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc over the classic television dramas. The young Indians prefer to watch shows on OTT platforms because of more interesting and relatable content than television shows. However, there is still a long way to go for OTT platforms to completely take over television in terms of viewership, revenue, etc. According to researchers in Betway’s Satta Matka team, digitalization has evolved rapidly in the past few years. The pandemic alone caused an enormous surge in the viewership of OTT platforms in India, while consumption of OTT content is highest in India among the 15-35 age group. A major reason behind the popularity of the shows in India is that they essentially tell stories that are closer to the lives of the people and deep-rooted concerns of Indian society. For those who wish to see India and its spectrum of realities from an outsider’s perspective, the shows on Netflix offer the perfect window to do so
What makes OTT platforms great over television –
1. More relatable content than television shows. The content available on NetFlix amazon prime is way more fresh and raw as compared to television dramas. The younger generation relates what they are watching over the phone rather than the same old dramas on TV
2. More convenient than television, one can view as many times as he/she wishes to at their comfort and schedule
3. The membership subscription part of OTT is very competitive as compared to classic television, the average price of a Netflix subscription is Rs.149 for mobile which offers free cancellation and ad-free content. That makes it very easy for young Indian audiences to afford with limited pocket money.
4. Around 54% of India’s population own a smartphone which makes it very convenient for smartphone users to own a NetFlix subscription or other as compared to buying a television then paying a subscription to favorite channels.
Viewership in Indian Audience –
India will experience enormous growth in OTT subscribers by 2023. Nowadays, there are 350 million users, but it is estimated to attain up to 500 million users.
● Disney+ Hotstar has 43 million subscribers, which makes it the most comprehensive OTT outlet in India, followed by Netflix with 5 million subscribers and Amazon Prime with 17 million subscribers.
● Hotstar has captured the OTT market and accounts for 29 percent of the total viewership. The platform’s income in 2020 was around 16 billion Indian rupees.
● By the end of 2023, 85 percent of Indian customers will be Internet-ready. The average age group of OTT paying customers is between 35-44 years.
● USD 1 billion of capital is presently being sponsored in the OTT industry by several venture capitalists and business tycoons.
Recently there has been a two-fold increase in male audiences as compared to females.
● The majority of OTT outlets are highest among the younger generation. Men especially in the age group of 15-30 consume the most OTT content.
● Among women, consumption of OTT content is most elevated in the 25-35 age group, and this digit has grown during the pandemic. Yet, they presented less than 50 percent of total consumption compared to men.
Exposure to New content –
Over years in Indian television, the shows are based on only Indian culture, religions, comedy, etc. But with the increase in OTT platforms, the content has changed the mind of young viewers. The shows on OTT platforms gave a holistic view of different countries, cultures, and themes. The young minds can relate to the new age shows like Korean shows, Anime, documentaries, etc are gaining more and more views than a regular Indian drama. It widened the perspective of the viewers towards new-age Art, filmmaking, music creation, culture, etc.
The rise of OTT has also created a positive impact on Indian society. The taboo topics like sex, mental illness, Divorce, LBGTQ, etc have also been raised by the OTT platforms. Shows like sex education, Atypical, 13 reasons why Insatiable on Netflix have thrown light on taboo topics. The younger generation watching the shows feel more powerful and mentally free talking about these topics with their elder brothers/sisters or even parents. Moreover, these types of shows are never telecast on television.
Some of the most-watched shows by the Indian audience –
1. Sacred Games – The series revolves around an upright Mumbai cop, Sartaj Singh (Saif Ali Khan), who embarks on a quest to find a missing gangster, Ganesh Gaitonde (Nawazuddin Siddiqui), after a tip-off about a dangerous conspiracy threatening the country. In the process, he gathers clues that connect his past to that of Gaitonde’s
2. Delhi crime- The fictionalized crime drama follows the Delhi Police investigation of the case amidst mounting pressure to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice. The lens is on DCP Vartika Chaturvedi (Shefali Shah) as the officer leading the probe and her team as they leave no stone unturned to find the culprits
3. House of secrets- The sensational case was a headline grabber across India. Ten of the members of the Chundawat family, including two 15-year-olds, were found hanging while the body of one, an octogenarian grandmother, was found strangled in another room. The absolute perplexity of the case gave birth to conspiracy theories, including the involvement of the supernatural
4. Kota factory – The series, which is marketed as India’s first ‘Black and White’ web series, follows the lives of young IIT-JEE aspirants at a coaching institute in Kota, Rajasthan. It is based on the real lives of teachers and students in the city, which is both famous and notorious for its coaching centers and produces candidates who crack the tough IIT-JEE examinations
5. Masaba Masaba- Masaba Masaba, which has been renewed for a second season, is directed by Sonam Nair and marks Masaba’s digital debut. The show is centered on her life and career as a fashion designer.
The rise of OTT has impacted the Indian audience with new ideas, music, filmmaking, culture, and many more. They have created scope for new art in the existing market. We have high hopes for OTT platforms to rise in the Indian market.