India is an endlessly fascinating destination for travelers. The country is so big and so full of things to see and do that you could go back every year and always see something new. Here are some other reasons you should travel to India:
- It is suitable for all budgets. You can travel to India on a backpacker’s budget or as lavishly as you wish since there are a wide range of accommodations available. You can stay at hotels that were once palaces for India’s royalty or at affordable backpacker hostels.
- Indians are very hospitable. In fact, they have a saying: The guest is God (“Athithi Devo Bhava”). This explains the growing popularity of homestays, in which you can stay at an Indian family’s home during your holiday. But even ordinary people you encounter on the street will be very helpful and accommodating.
- India is a great way to explore spirituality. There are many ways to experience spiritual practices in India, including taking lessons in meditation or yoga, taking part in an evening fire worship (aarti) ceremony along the banks of the Ganges, or spending time at an ashram.
- You can explore India’s rich culture and history. Of course you’ll want to visit the Taj Majal, but there are sites of historical interest that you can visit all over the country. India’s history dates back more than 5,000 years, making it one of the cradles of civilization. And you can’t say you’ve actually been to India unless you’ve experienced one of their festivals.
- India is a foodie’s paradise. You can experience authentic Indian cuisine, which is very different from the typical fare that is served in “Indian” restaurants, which is generally from the northern region of India. The rich variety of cuisine in the country ranges from the curries of the South to the mouthwatering Mughlai cuisine from the North with its lavish use of dried fruits and nuts as well as spices. Even the street food is delicious — although it might take some getting used to.
- You will be spoiled for choice. There is an abundance of holiday options that you can choose from, ranging from wildlife safaris to romantic holiday getaways and mountain or beach holidays.
- There are a wide range of shopping options. You’ll want to take home loads of Indian handicrafts, such as ethnic garments made with silk and cotton, paintings from local artists, tapestries, jewelry and other samples of local folk art.
Content credit goes to James, A travel blogger and writer from Dubai, working with a desert Safari Company bookdubaitrip.com